Facebook pixel To do for international students - Bocconi University Milan
logo stampa

To do for international students

Permit of Stay and Registration in Milan

In this area you can find some basic information to help you register and settle in Italy once you have been admitted in one of our PhD programs.

As the administrative procedures evolve under the ongoing outbreak, please find at this link the latest news about permit of stay, registration at the Municipality and other useful information for foreign students.

Since January 2007 European Union nationals living in Italy are no longer required to apply for a permit of stay. European Nationals staying in Italy for a period exceeding 90 days must register at the Registry Office at the city hall where they intend to reside. They must register within 3 months of their arrival in Italy and obtain a residence certificate, "certificato di residenza".
For the latest information about City Registry (Anagrafe) procedures, see this student booklet

If you are a non - EU citizen, you need to apply for a student visa at the Italian diplomatic authority of the country you reside in. Please note that it is your responsibility to apply for the appropriate visa.
Once you hold your student visa and you cross the Italian border, you must apply for a Permit of Stay for study purposes (Permesso di soggiorno per motivi di studio).

Non-EU students enrolled in the first year of the program who do not send the copy of permit of stay to the PhD Administrative Center (PhD-AC) by the end of June, will not be admitted to the second year of the program.


Once you hold your Permit of Stay, you also need to register at the Municipality of the town you intend to reside in. Basic information is available here.




Last modified 26/10/2020 - 14:33:14