Please read all requirements carefully
CEMS uses the Common European Framework of References (CEFR) for comparing language proficiency in all European languages.
There are six levels on the CEFR scale, where levels C2 and C1 describe a proficient user; levels B2 and B1 an intermediate user; and levels A2 and A1 a basic user of a language. CEMS defines A1, A2, B1 as elementary level of studies.
Please note that while these are the minimum requirements needed to pass the CEMS MIM, students are highly encouraged to take language or business communication courses and/or tests at the highest level in as many languages as they master. The CEMS MIM Certificate shows the levels passed.
Student should be aware that their home school programme’s language requirement may differ from the global CEMS language requirements. Please consult with your Programme Manager for further information.
- Students may declare more than one mother tongue. However, the languages must meet the requirements of the three languages (see above). Mother tongues are not tested but a “declaration of mother tongue” is to be filled in upon application to the programme. Students cannot change their mother tongue once they confirmed it during application. A declaration is to be filled in for each language declared.
- Please note that, although all CEMS schools ultimately require submission of a "declaration of mother tongue" upon entrance into the programme to confirm your mother tongue(s)), not all CEMS schools accept declaration of mother tongue as appropriate evidence of mastery of the mother tongue to be accepted into the local master programmes. In such cases, students will need to meet the specific master admission requirements of the given CEMS school.
- Certain combinations of similar languages will not be allowed to fulfil the requirements. These are Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian/Montenegrin/Slovenian, Czech/Slovak, Danish/Swedish/Norwegian, Danish/Faroese, Dutch/Flemish/Frisian/Afrikaans , German/Luxembourgisher, Russian/Ukrainian/Belarusian, Russian/Kazak, Spanish/Catalan.
- The second and the third language can any language.
- Please check www.cems.org for the list of accepted certificates.
For further information please refer to the CEMS Office: firstname.lastname@example.org