Immagine sezione
Logo Bocconi


All international students are required to have appropriate insurance. In Italy, the National Health Care System is provided by a public health care service (SSN). Only foreign citizens with a valid permit of stay may apply for the service offered by the ASL (local branch of the National Health Care Service).

> EU STUDENTS. In order to receive medical assistance at the SSN (National Healthcare Service) one of the following options is needed:

  • the European Health Insurance Card / “TEAM Card” (“Tessera Sanitaria Europea”) which allows EU citizens to receive necessary medical assistance and to be refunded once they come back home (for stays shorter than 90 days)
  • in order to receive complete medical assistance (and benefit from the same services as Italian citizens), EU students can register at the ASL (Azienda Sanitaria Locale) with the European “S1” form that they should obtain from the healthcare institution in their home country PRIOR to their arrival in Italy
  • adequate and appropriate private insurance.

> NON-EU STUDENTS. They are strongly recommended to have a health insurance policy with international validity certified by the Italian Diplomatic Representative abroad (before leaving their home country). In order to get the Permit of Stay they are required to purchase private Health Insurance for the entire duration of their stay in Italy. If you have a private health insurance policy, you must have a certificate in English specifying the starting and ending dates of the coverage with international validity. If you are not insured, you might consider  purchasing WAI ITALY (Welcome Association Italy, former INA ASSITALIA) .
For further information visit: www2.WAITALY.NET or call call +39 06-361.1676.
You will be required to register in order to receive a username and be allowed to pay the fee: € 71.00 for 6 months of coverage or € 120.00 for 12 months of coverage.

For more information: access to the SSN
Last modified 23/07/2018 - 14:40:19