Permit of Stay
Within 8 working days of arrival, all NON-EU citizens who hold a valid student visa for Italy must apply for a permit of stay for study purposes (Permesso di soggiorno per motivi di studio).
The permit of stay is issued by the local Police Department- “Questura - Ufficio Stranieri”- of the applicant’s place of residence in Italy, however the applicant must submit his/her application at a competent Post Office.
Nearest competent Post Offices (walking distance) to Bocconi:
- Via Cordusio, 4 (Central Post Office of Milan) — English, Spanish and Chinese speaking staff
Hours: Monday Friday: 8:20 - 19:05 | Saturday 8:20 - 12:35 Phone: 02-72.48.2126
- Corso Italia, 16 - Hours: Monday Friday: 8:20 - 13:35 | Saturday: 8:20 - 12:35
- Viale Sabotino, 21/a - Hours: Monday Friday: 8:20 - 19:05 | Saturday: 8:20 - 12:35
- Via Baroni Costantino, 11/C (near Arcobaleno Residence)
Hours: Monday-Friday: 08:20 - 13:35 | Saturday 8:20 - 12:35
Step 1: REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR POST OFFICE APPLICATION
(Do NOT submit original documents in the post office application/kit)
- Completed Post Office Application/Kit - make sure to complete "Modulo 1" (Form 1) of the yellow striped envelope application/kit for NON-EU citizens (available at the Post Office free of charge)
- Photocopy of Bocconi acceptance letter / declaration of enrollment (sealed/stamped by the Italian Embassy /Consulate when entry visa was issued).
- Photocopy of the pages containing personal data + student Visa page of the passport or other equivalent document. You must present the original document when submitting the application at the Post Office.
- Photocopy of insurance policy, valid throughout the country and for the entire period of validity of the Visa/residence permit, for the risk of illness and injury (1)
- Photocopy of Financial Statement: document certifying adequate financial resources (approximately 5.950 EUROS).
- Marca da Bollo (Italian Stamp: can be purchased at any tabacchi shop) of 16,00 EUROS. The Marca da Bollo will need to be placed on the completed permit of stay application.
- Receipt of payment of 70,46 EUROS paid at the Post Office for the Electronic Permit of Stay (the payment form is included in the Post Office Kit)
Application Fee: 30,00 paid at the Post Office when submitting application
After submitting the documents to the Post Office, the applicant should receive 2 documents:
1. A ricevuta (mod.22A, certified letter receipt) with the user ID and password needed to check the state of progress of the application online at http://www.portaleimmigrazione.it/. (click on "Area Riservata Stranieri")
2. A letter with the appointment date and time at the Police Station, Questura, for the final step in the procedure (if this letter is not given to the applicant at the Post Office it will be sent later on as certified mail, raccomandata *, to the applicant's address in Italy.)
* This does not always happen; frequently check your status at http://questure.poliziadistato.it/stranieri/?mime=1⟨=EN or at http://www.portaleimmigrazione.it/ for your appointment (using your user ID and password found on your receipt, ricevuta).
Step 2: DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE QUESTURA UFFICIO STRANIERI
(Local Police Station Immigration Office)
Bring originals and photocopies of ALL your documents
- Passport or other equivalent document.
- Original Bocconi acceptance letter/declaration of enrollment sealed by the Italian Embassy/Consulate when the entry visa was issued.
- 2 identical passport-size photographs.
- Insurance policy, valid throughout the country and for the entire period of validity of the Visa/residence permit, for the risk of illness and injury (1)
- An “ad hoc” certificate of enrollment in Bocconi academic program (in Italian, for “Immigration Issues”). This certificate is mandatory ONLY for students who -while in Italy -do not live in the city of Milan (and therefore have to apply in the city where they live). Those students who declared to live in the city of Milan when filling out the permit of stay application DO NOT NEED to bring this “ad hoc” certificate, according to a specific agreement between Bocconi and the Milan Police
- Financial Statement: document certifying adequate financial resources (approximately 5.950 EUROS)
- Post office receipt + Receipt of payment of € 70,46 paid at the Post Office for the Electronic Permit of Stay
Contact Center: 800.200.309 (to verify your application status — English Available)
(1) Health Insurance Coverage is required in order to obtain a permit of stay in Italy. If you have a private health insurance policy, you must have a certificate in English specifying the starting and ending dates of the coverage with international validity. If you are not insured, you might consider to purchase WAI ITALY (Welcome Association Italy, former INA ASSITALIA)
This insurance can be purchased also prior your arrival in Italy. Payment can be done online (credit card, paypal), via bank transfer or in person at the Italian Post office. Please read carefully the terms and conditions.