Within 8 working days of arrival, all NON-EU citizens who hold a valid student visa for Italy must apply for a permit of stay for study purposes (Permesso di soggiorno per motivi di studio).
The permit of stay is issued by the local Police Department- “Questura - Ufficio Stranieri”- of the applicant’s place of residence in Italy, however the applicant must submit his/her application at a competent Post Office.
Nearest competent Post Offices (walking distance) to Bocconi:
- Viale Sabotino, 21/a - Hours: Monday Friday: 8:00 - 19:00 | Saturday: 8:30 - 12:00
- Corso Italia, 16 - Hours: Monday Friday: 8:00 - 14:00 | Saturday: 8:30 - 12:00
- Via Cordusio, 4 (Central Post Office of Milan) - Hours: Monday Friday: 8:00 - 19:00 | Saturday 8:30 - 12:00 Phone: 02-72.48.2126
- Via Baroni Costantino, 11/C (near Arcobaleno Residence) - Hours: Monday-Friday: 08:00 - 14:00 | Saturday 8:30 - 12:00
Step 1: REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR POST OFFICE APPLICATION
(Do NOT submit original documents in the post office application/kit)
Application Fee: 30,00 paid at the Post Office when submitting application
After submitting the documents to the Post Office, the applicant should receive 2 documents:
1. A ricevuta (mod.22A, certified letter receipt) with the user ID and password needed to check the state of progress of the application online at http://www.portaleimmigrazione.it/. (click on "Area Riservata Stranieri")
2. A letter with the appointment date and time at the Police Station, Questura, for the final step in the procedure (if this letter is not given to the applicant at the Post Office it will be sent later on as certified mail, raccomandata *, to the applicant's address in Italy.)
* This does not always happen; frequently check your status at http://questure.poliziadistato.it/stranieri/?mime=1⟨=EN or at http://www.portaleimmigrazione.it/ for your appointment (using your user ID and password found on your receipt, ricevuta).
Step 2: DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE QUESTURA UFFICIO STRANIERI
(Local Police Station Immigration Office)
Bring originals and photocopies of ALL your documents
Call toll-free: 800.309.309 (English Available)
Contact Center: 848.855.888 (to verify your application status)
The International Student Desk (ISD) at Bocconi helps students with the permit of stay application procedure.
(1) Health Insurance Coverage is required in order to obtain a permit of stay in Italy. If you have a private health insurance policy, you must have a certificate in English specifying the starting and ending dates of the coverage with international validity. If you are not insured, upon your arrival in Italy, you will need to purchase INA ASSITALIA insurance (please note that this will only cover expenses in the event of emergency treatment and/or urgent hospitalization. For further information call 06-361.1676).
INA ASSITALIA: Payment for the Insurance Coverage must be made at the Post Office (ask for a payment form bollettino di pagamento). Fill out the form: Account Number 71270003, addressed to: INA-ASSITALIA Agenzia Generale di Roma c. n°20, write your name, last name and address in Italy.
Cost: 49,00 for 6 month coverage or 98,00 for 12 month coverage.